Despite this simple task being often overlooked, it’s very important to change your HVAC filter regularly to maintain the efficiency of your system. A clogged or dirty filter can cause your system to work harder than it should, resulting in higher energy bills and eventual breakdown.
So, how often should you change your filter? It depends on a few factors, including the type of filter you’re using and the level of air pollution in your home. If you have pets or live in a humid area (hello, Tampa!) you may need to change your filter more often.
Keep scrolling to learn more from our team at Integrity Home Solutions!
- Our team recommends changing your air filter every 30-60 days.
- If your energy bills have increased or your system has a hard time keeping your home cool, try changing the air filter.
- Don’t forget to schedule an HVAC tune-up with Integrity Home Solutions.
The Importance of Changing Your Air Filter
For many homeowners, changing their home’s HVAC filter may be in the same category as changing their car’s oil or cleaning out their dryer vents—inconvenient and easy to forget.
Not to mention many AC manufacturers often put things like “change your air filter every one to three months or as needed,” in their manual. But what exactly does this mean? Isn’t one month between air filter changes an awfully short time?
We recommend changing your air filter
every 30-60 days.
Let’s delve into the factors that impact air filters and how to tell when it’s time to change yours.
Several factors impact how dirty your home’s air filter will get including:
- Filter quality: Inexpensive fiberglass air filters get dirty more quickly, while high-end filters can last months longer.
- Pets: Pet fur, dander, and odors all find their way into your HVAC system and get caught in your air filter. Pet owners need to change their air filters more frequently than those without pets.
- Home Size: Smaller homes put less demand on your HVAC equipment so pay attention to filter size, it may be smaller and not last as long as larger air filters.
- Frequency of Use: How often do you run your AC? If you run it all day every day, your system will require more frequent filter changes.
- Air Quality: Both indoor and outdoor air quality affects your HVAC system. If someone smokes inside the house, this will impact your indoor air quality and necessitate more frequent filter changes.
Consider these factors when deciding if it is time to change your air filter.
Learn More > The Risks of Skipping HVAC Maintenance
Signs It’s Time to Change Your Air Filter
Although the factors we listed above are important, even the most attentive homeowners often let AC filter changes fall by the wayside. Life’s busy, we get it.
If you see any of the following signs, you should change your filter right away:
- The filter looks dirty. If it looks dirty, dusty, or has clumps of dust or hair, it is time to change it!
- Allergy symptoms are worse. If you or someone in your home suffers from asthma or allergies, dirty air filters will make their symptoms worse. If you notice an increase in respiratory problems, check to see if your air filter is the problem.
- The areas around your vents are dusty. Clogged air filters can release dust and other contaminants into circulated air, which then pushes them out of the vents. It’s likely time to change the filter if the surfaces near the vents are excessively dusty.
- Your energy bills have increased. A clogged air filter makes your HVAC system work harder and decreases efficiency. This means that it will use more energy to cool your home, resulting in higher energy bills.
- Your AC isn’t cooling sufficiently. Reduced airflow and decreased efficiency caused by a dirty air filter can impact your system’s ability to cool your home. If the system’s performance has dropped off recently, or it’s not cooling your home evenly, try changing your air filter.
There will be plenty of signs if you are overdue for an air filter change,
but it is best to change your filter before it gets to this point.
Proper Maintenance is Key
If you can’t remember the last time you changed your air filter, it is likely time to change it. And while we’re talking about it, if you can’t remember the last time you had maintenance done on your AC, it’s time to schedule a tune-up with Integrity Home Solutions!
Proper maintenance keeps your HVAC system working at top efficiency, which will also keep your energy bills in check. Most importantly, regular maintenance can prevent repairs and breakdowns and will extend the life of your system.
Learn More > Preparing for Your Seasonal HVAC Service Appointment
Schedule HVAC Maintenance
If you live in Tampa Bay and want to make sure your HVAC system is reliable year-round, schedule HVAC maintenance with Integrity Home Solutions Whether you’re gearing up for turning on the heat this winter, or are looking for routine maintenance to keep things running well, our team is ready to get the job done!
Scheduled an HVAC inspection and maintenance with Integrity Home Solutions today; 813-473-6007!