If you live in Tampa and own an electric vehicle (EV), you may have heard about all the benefits of at-home EV chargers. An at-home charger can save you time and money compared to public charging stations, so it’s a great investment! But how do you get one installed at home? Can you do it yourself?
Whether you’re a first-time EV owner or are upgrading your existing charger, this article will provide you with all the information you need for a seamless transition. Let’s dive in!
The Benefits of At-Home EV Chargers
As the electric vehicle industry continues to grow, you’ll likely see more charging stations being constructed around Tampa. While this is convenient for a quick charge-up on the go, the best way to charge your EV is at a charging station installed at your own house!
Not sure if the investment is worth it? Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Fast Charging: A properly installed at–home EV charger can charge a battery to full capacity in 25 minutes to 7 hours, depending on the type of system. This is much faster than public chargers. Of course, there are rapid charging stations available, but those aren’t cheap to use!
- Greater Convenience: Having an EV charger at home is the ultimate convenience. You can charge your car as soon as you arrive home so it is ready for your commute the next day. Plus, you won’t have to rely on public charging stations anymore. You can bet that the more popular EVs get, the harder it will be to find an available charger out and about town!
- Prolonged Battery Life: Over time, EV batteries become less efficient as constant use and charging reduce their capacity to hold power. To help slow this degradation, we recommend charging the battery to almost full, rather than giving it a small boost of energy at a public charging station.
- Enhance Property Value: As more people jump into the electric car revolution, at-home EV chargers will add value to your house and enhance its appeal if you plan to sell in the future.
EV Charger FAQs
Before having an EV charger installed at your house, make sure you know the facts!
#1. How Much Does it Cost to Install an EV Charger?
The overall cost of installing a charger depends on several factors, including your location and the type of system that you want to be installed.
#2. What Kind of EV Chargers are Available?
EV charging stations are available in three levels, each with different voltages, features, and price ranges.
- Level 1: These are typically the charging systems that come with your electric vehicle when you purchase it. They can be plugged directly into a standard 120 Volt AC outlet. These stations generally take the longest to fully charge your vehicle and supply the least amount of power, but are also the most affordable type of station. These can be great options for hybrid EV owners.
- Level 2: Level 2 charging stations are most often used for 100% electric vehicles. These stations come in single-port or dual-port stations and should be able to charge a depleted battery overnight. Since they offer more power than Level 1, Level 2 chargers will cost more to install. These chargers are the most commonly installed home charging system for EV owners.
- Level 3: Level 3 chargers are not used for residential use. They are extremely expensive and can cost well over 40k to install. These setups are most common in commercial settings.
#3. Where Can I Install an EV Charger?
Our team at Integrity Home Solutions recommends mounting your charger on an inside wall of your garage beside your parked car, or on an outer wall next to your driveway.
We also recommend having a site survey completed before installation to ensure that there is a safe location for the charging unit.
#3. How Much Power Does an EV Charger Need?
The type of EV charter that you install depends on how much power your home can supply. Our electricians at Integrity Home Solutions will inspect your home’s electrical system before installing your charger to ensure that your home has enough power to run the charger.
EV chargers are available in several wattages:
- 3 kW: Slow charge
- 7 kW: Fast charge
- 22 kW: Rapid charge
Remember, the faster the charger, the more it will cost. Additionally, rapid chargers need three-phase electricity, so you may have to upgrade your home’s electrical system if you want to install a rapid charging system.
#4. Are Smart EV Chargers Worth It?
While standard EV chargers are more cost-effective, one great benefit of their smart counterparts is that they include features that can help you better manage your EV charging, thus reducing your costs even more.
By connecting it to your home’s Wi-Fi, you can monitor and adjust the charger’s settings from a convenient app on your phone. Nice!
#5. How Does Charger Installation Work?
To get started, you supply the charging system equipment—either a Level 1 unit that came with your EV or a Level 2 system that you purchased—and we will install it. It’s that simple!
A standard EV charging station installation typically takes about two hours, but the more information you provide during the scheduling process, the better equipped our technicians will be.
#6. Can I Install My Own EV Charger?
Some electric vehicles come with complimentary charger installation, but most will need to be installed by a licensed electrician, like one from Integrity Home Solutions.
It is not worth trying to cut corners to save money on installation, as electricity is very dangerous if you are not trained and licensed to work with it. Plus, you might invalidate the charger’s warranty by installing it yourself.
Invest in the Future
Not only are at-home EV chargers a great way to save money on fuel costs and reduce carbon emissions, but they are also a convenient and reliable way to charge up your EV without having to worry about finding a public charging station.
With more and more people making the switch to electric vehicles, now is the perfect time to invest in the future of transportation!
Ready to get started? Schedule a consultation with our electricians at Integrity Home Solutions today!